504 Plan

What is Section 504?

Section 504 is a part of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 that prohibits discrimination based upon disability. Section 504 is a civil rights statute that requires the needs of students with disabilities to be met as adequately as the needs of the non-disabled are met. Students may be eligible to recieve accommodations under Section 504 if they have a qualifying disability.

504 Plan or IEP? 


The 504 Plan is a plan or program developed to ensure that a child who has a disability receives accommodations that will ensure equal access to the learning environment.


The Individualized Educational Program (IEP) is a plan or program developed to ensure that a child who has a disability receives specialized instruction and related services.

The Difference... 

Not all students with disabilities qualify for Special Education Services. In order to qualify for Special Education, a student must require specialized intstruction and related services.  

Those students with disabilities who do not qualify for Special Education may still be eligible to receive accommodations under a 504 Plan if they have a disability that substantially limits one or more major life activities.

504 Plan Accommodations 

There are many types of accommodations that may be provided through a 504 Plan.  Some examples include:


  • Preferential Seating
  • Extended Testing Time
  • Large-Print Materials
  • Access to Assistive Technology


  • Small Group Testing
  • Typed Responses
  • Oral/Typed Instructions
  • Allow Frequent Breaks

District Curriculum Accommodation Plan (DCAP)  

Students who do not qualify for an IEP or 504 Plan may also be able to access certain accommodations through a district curriculum accommodation plan, also known as a DCAP.  The DCAP allows the district to provide specific accommodations to a student based on their unique learning style and academic needs.  For more information, please to refer to the document linked below:


At Shrewsbury High School, 504 Plans are overseen by school administrators rather than Special Education staff.  If you would like to know if your child qualifies for a 504 Plan, contact the student's grade administrator to set up a meeting.